Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Bit of Life Drawing

I happened to be in a mall a few weeks back with a bit of time to kill so I treated myself to a wee bit of life drawing - the best practice ever. I set myself up in front of the Tim Horton's Coffee kiosk, where there was a long and continuous line for coffee and donuts - which explains why many of the figures are pointing the same way. Line ups are good for drawing because it forces people to remain relatively still for a few moments which gives us half chance at drawing them, but you still have to be fast. I could really use a bit more of this.



Once you get into the groove of drawing everybody starts to look like a character design. That's when it starts to get fun. Anyway - more soon.

Cheers and travel safely.

7 comments:

Craig Phillips said...

Really great! I can tell you had fun doing these.!!

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Craig. Yes, I love to get out and draw people from life. It's the only good thing about going into a mall. :)

THE OLD BURROW said...

Fabulous! I am trying to discipline myself to do more of this but I'm sure the people are more interesting shapes where you live.:) Maybe i just need to apply a little more imagination to reality?

Have loved your illustration work for a long time, a source of inspiration for me. Thank you.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks T.O.B.
You have to apply a little cartoon design to the people when you are drawing them and then it becomes fun and you will find the interesting shapes.

Christina Wald said...

That is really cool! I am trying to do more sketching around town too.

Larry MacDougall said...

Thanks Christina.

Raul Avila said...

que buenos apuntes Larry!